Customize your party decorations by making these adorable coffee filter pom poms! These easy-to-make paper pom poms require only a few items, all of which are easy to find. In fact, you probably have the main “ingredient” sitting in your kitchen right now: Coffee filters! By folding coffee filters and arranging them on brass fasteners, you can easily make paper wall decorations, gift toppers and table decorations that feature the same colors as your baby shower, birthday party or bridal shower theme! Keep reading to learn how to make your own coffee filter pom poms.
- Coffee filters
- Paper hold punch
- Brass fasteners
- Styrofoam balls
- Stick pins
- Coordinating craft paper
- Personalized stickers
To make a coffee filter pom pom:
- Begin by folding about 20 coffee filters, one at a time, in half. Then, fold each one in half again.
- Punch a hole in the corner of each folded filter, as close to the edge as possible.
- Keeping the folded side of each filter facing the same direction, stack about 20 hole-punched filters onto a single brass fastener.
- Once your brass fastener is full, open it to secure the coffee filters.
- Gently fan out each filter until you’re left with a fluffy paper “flower,” or pom pom!
Now, you could stop here and consider your mission accomplished… or you can take just a few more steps and add real flair to your party decorations! (We know you want to!) To jazz up your pom poms even more, cut a small circle out of craft paper that coordinates with your party theme. Then, adhere a round, personalized sticker to the circle. Hot glue the paper circle right over the brass fastener head and you’ll be left with a pom pom that matches your party theme perfectly!
Love the look but want more color? Dip the edges of your white coffee filters into food coloring to tint them a coordinating color! To do that, simply dip the edge of each folded filter into the food coloring and let dry overnight, then continue with step 2.What an easy way to add a personalized touch to your paper party decorations!
You can even use coffee filters to make your own fluffy paper balls, which can be hung above gift tables or candy buffets! To make a coffee filter pom pom ball, repeat step 1 above using about 50 coffee filters. Instead of punching a hold in each folded corner, poke a stick pin through the corner instead and stick the folded filter directly to a Styrofoam ball. Repeat until the ball is entirely covered in coffee filters, fluff, then hang with string!
Want a chance to win a $100 Big Dot gift certificate? Here’s how…
- Go to this Big Dot of Happiness blog post.
- Comment directly on the blog post and tell us your favorite food on a stick by 11:59 pm CST on Thursday, August 16th!
- Check the Big Dot of Happiness Blog on Friday, August 17th to see if you’ve won!
The winner will be selected via a random number generator. Numbers will be assigned in the order of your comment. For example, if you are the first to comment on the blog post, you will be assigned #1, the 15th to comment will be assigned #15, and so on. You must comment on the blog post to win.